Of psychic phenomena and miracles ~

Phenomena that cannot be explained in physical terms can seem like a convincing sign of the presence of the Divine, or at least of something supernatural.  If the manifestations seem benevolent we call them miracles.  If they seem harmful we ascribe them to the presence of evil spirits or the work of the devil.

The work of addressing these and understanding them we allot to psychics, shamans, priests and in some cases, doctors.  These people may or may not have the facility of clairvoyance or telepathy.

It's a difficult area, in which the main hazard as I see it is the tendency to be distracted from the real business of ordinary life and which can be ascribed much greater significance than is healthy or wise.  I now regard all of this simply as part of the weather of life and not necessarily an indication of anything I need to engage with.

Psychic phenomena at a personal level:
I suspect that many who experience psychic phenomena may do so as a result of disturbance of submerged aspects of their personalities, possibly in relation to spiritual boundaries.  If the usual boundaries are not properly in place a person may find they have telepathic abilities or patches of seeing and hearing things that seem like clairvoyance, and so on.

The temptation of pursuing the glamorous aspects of this sort of thing can be considerable.  I believe that caution is important as these experiences may indicate that it is a dangerous time at the level of personality.  It may pay to exercise care in keeping oriented to practical daily routines so as not to exacerbate whatever it going on.  Life seeks wholeness, and hopefully such disturbances will settle down after a time.

Examples:
Dennis Gersten, David Furlong and William Hamilton all cite instances of this sort of problem in their books and in each instance the people concerned had deep levels of conflict within themselves.
     Dennis Gersten, psychiatrist, had a patient who was a brilliant woman with a personality disorder resulting from childhood abuse.  She was also highly psychic, and had considerable healing capabilities.  He expresses liking and admiration for this exceptional yet very disturbed woman and helped her work out ways she could give herself a degree of protection on levels that most of us are fortunate not to have to think about.  He describes this in his book, "Are You Getting Enlightened or Losing Your Mind?: A Spiritual Program for Mental Fitness.
     David Furlong, a spiritual healer who uses a range of therapies, writes about a woman who came to him complaining of being possessed by the spirit of a man with a knife who wanted to kill her.  On looking into the situation he came to suspect that this was in fact an aspect herself which had arisen from acute distress that was beyond her to contain.  He addressed the situation by talking to her about it in conjunction with other healing techniques.  I'm not sure which book this account is in, but think it may be "Working with Earth Energies: How to Tap Into the Healing Powers of the Natural World".
     William Hamilton, psychologist, businessman and writer, describes a woman to whom he was married, who he said was a pathological liar and thief with a borderline personality, a woman of considerable charm, glamour and psychic abilities, who on occasion triggered individuals she physically touched in bliss-filled trances.  He remarked that from time to time he still heard of her and the ubiquitous trail of destruction that was left in her wake.  This account is in his book "Saints and psychopaths" which can be read on-line.

These three very different women all showed evidence of psychic activity and all had serious personal problems.  Two of them had very attractive personalities and some psychic 'gifts'.

I imagine there are psychics who have more normal and healthy personalities, but it can be helpful to be aware of other possibilities especially for situations in which people attempt to puff up their own consequence by demonstrating telepathy, and so on.

It can also be helpful to be aware of this in case you experience this sort of thing yourself from time to time.  It may be tempting to construe it as spiritual attainment, or indeed as something worth attaining, whereas it may be just 'weather', or a sign of deep distress.

I have discussed other aspects of this in my articles about hearing voices and clairvoyance which can be found through the index at the side of the page. 

Spontaneous manifestations in the world around us: 
While there may be times when manifestations around us of a 'spooky' nature are likely to be the result of something chaotic - or inspiring, within ourselves, it's likely that other instances are independent of us.  Or are they?  This is an open question which I won't attempt to answer.  One can hypothesize about such things but never prove them in a worldly sense. 

The Crosses of Light are an interesting example. 

I've actually seen one of these myself, which I visited a number of times.  If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I might have been somewhat dismissive, but there it was.  It appeared in the window of a couple's home one morning, much to their surprise, and they subsequently had the glass removed and framed and there it still was.  In the absence of light behind it it appeared to be a perfectly ordinary piece of frosted glass such as is common in bathroom windows, but when a light was placed behind it the unusual but characteristic shape of the radiant cross was vivid.

A strange experience I had in relation to one of these crosses:
Did it have healing properties as is so widely reported in some articles about other crosses?  I don't know.  But whatever the case, the experience I relate here did seem to have startling implications:
     Those of you who have read other articles in this collection will guess that the minute Teri heard of this cross she immediately manoeuvred herself into a position of authority regarding it.  As I recall, the owners of the glass did ask her about it, and she then took on the role of some kind of gate-keeper with alacrity.
     Needless to say, it did give rise to a certain amount of excitement and I duly made an appointment to see it.  Along I went, and sat in front of it for the allotted time.  One gazed at the glowing cross while a candle burned behind the glass and received it in meditatively, as it were.  It was pleasant and uneventful.  I hadn't expected anything in particular and I didn't feel anything other than peacefulness.
     Teri and I discussed what the possible effect might be on our gemstones if they were exposed to it.  I had made another appointment to sit with the cross, and considered taking a few of mine.  I weighed up whether to mention this to Teri or not and decided it was a private matter and took some along anyway.  Once comfortably seating in front of the glowing cross I got them out one at a time and held them up to its light.  Then I went home.
     I don't know if it was the next day or the day after that Teri rang up in dreadful state, very angry, saying how dare I take my gems to the cross of light without informing her; she had a splitting headache as a result which prevented her from working and I must take responsibility and sort the situation out immediately. 
     To say that I was taken aback is an understatement.  I was shocked and upset both at being spoken to so angrily and by her demands.  I didn't give myself time to think the situation through.  I acquiesced.  I did some further prayers over the gems asking that something be done about what was happening.
     Evidently this had the desired result because I don't remember hearing any more about it.  But it was all very strange: how could something that was said to be healing have such an effect?  This question pre-supposes that Teri's claim had some validity which was another whole layer of possible unreality.  However, if her assumption was correct, the situation brought up some serious issues.  I had said nothing whatsoever about it to her, probably the owner of the cross had mentioned it.  Teri had a way of getting people to tell her all manner of things.  But setting that aside, I was on the other side of the city...  It was weird.  And unpleasant to say the least. 
     Years later, when I reconsidered this it occurred to me that if Teri had been correct in her assessment, it could well have been an important indicator that something was decidedly awry in the boundary between us.  If she had been trespassing on my personal space (and gems) the effect of the cross of light may well have been starting to push her back into her own patch.  If she had been habitually hooked into me she would have unconsciously registered something very upsetting about being chucked out.  I think this was probably the case.
     I suspect that a similar phenomena occurred again at a later interval when Teri refused to see me or even talk to me, because, she said, I had reached my most damaged parts and contact with me made her ill.  
     That was the situation which finally caused me to cut off contact.  It was too questionable, and the implications too weird.  It came to seem decidedly unhealthy for this reason and lots of others.  All this theorizing and believing in theorizing none of which could be properly substantiated.  No good. 

Possible pitfalls in interpreting 'evidence':
These instances illustrate the confusion that can occur in interpreting this sort of thing.  It's always going to be a matter of best-guessing and hypothesis.  Even those who claim to be able to see such things clairvoyantly can not prove it in physical terms.   

Another example is Benjamin Creme's insistence on a link between the crosses and the coming of the Maitraya.  Those who take in interest in the crosses may have come across him in this context already.  He is an elderly Scottish man who believes fervently in the coming of this being who will save us all from ourselves.  Here again we find a connection with Theosophy which I have concluded is of dubious substance and provenance.

I don't argue with the existence of the crosses of light, but I do think it can be a mistake to construe all kinds of things about them.  Either they have a beneficial effect or they don't and I prefer to leave it at that.

Mr Creme has gone on to declare that author and academic Raj Patel is the incarnation of the Maitreya because he fits certain predicted descriptions.  Raj Patel emphatically denies anything of the kind, which apparently is  just what Mr Creme and his companions expected: denial was one of the signs so this only added to their certainty.  I find this absurd.  In response, Mr Patel posted a clip from "The life of Brian" to his website in which Brian's mother asserts that "he's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy".

Light (relief) of a different kind:
Those of you who are looking for a little light relief from all this intensity may find it in the above video clip.  I must say I was heartily amused by the sight of a man in drag posing as the supposed Messiah's mother.  It brings it all down to earth suitably.  For those of you inclined to be offended by this sort of send-up you may wish to know that the movie is about a man who is mistaken for Jesus, so it's not about the figure of Jesus himself.  It's performed in the style of pantomime and is similarly light-hearted.  I found nothing really offensive in it and indeed much to laugh over.  We take ourselves far too seriously, especially in relation to spiritual matters.  Laughter can also bring a more realistic perspective, which is greatly needed in this troublesome area.  

In astrological terms the planet of Neptune is the symbolic ruler of spiritual matters, and I think those who originated this system got it about right.  The passage about it in Wikipedia reads thus:
Astrologically, modern Western astrologers associate the planet Neptune with idealism and compassion, but also with illusion, confusion and deception; with religions, spirituality and mysticism, the mass media, creativity in art and music, drugs, extreme sensitivity, fantasy and imagination, psychic phenomena and altered mental states.  Neptune governs hospitals, prisons, mental institutions, and any place, such as a monastery, that involves a retreat from society.
Touché!

I'll let Rabbi Nachtner, of the movie "A Serious Man" have the last word on the subject of how God (here referred to as Hashem) speaks to us.  In this clip he is responding to the entreaties of a man tormented by the multiple disasters which are occurring in his life.  It's a dark movie so I won't go so far as to recommend it here, but I did find this part of it fascinating and re-watched it numbers of times.  Here then, is Rabbi Nachtner telling the story of the goy's teeth.  ('Goy' is a Yiddish term meaning non-Jew.)  Note that he has no illusions and offers none.  He let's the story speak for itself and leaves it at that.  I found it brilliant.  His response sums up all I've been saying about healthy perspectives and sound teaching.  Having said that, I can identify keenly with poor Larry's frustration with the rabbi in his search for greater meaning.  I've been there.  And still am, in a lot of ways...  But ultimately I agree with the rabbi.   

Book shop links for interested NZ readers:
"Working with Earth Energies" by David Furlong
Fishpond.co.nz
Working with Earth Energies: How to Tap into <br>the Healing Powers of the Natural World

Monty Python's Life of Brian: DVD
Fishpond.co.nz
 Monty Python's Life Of Brian - Encore

"The Value of Nothing: how to reshape market society and redefine democracy" by Raj Patel
Fishpond.co.nz - other editions available.
The Value of Nothing


To go to the next article click this link:
But the Bible's true, isn't it?

No comments: